Sunday, April 4, 2010

Walking For a Purpose



Here's a photo of my brand spanking new shoes I bought yesterday. Some of you may be thinking, "Hmmm, Nike? Not Burberry, Coach or Prada? What does this have to do with Nancy Miller? She doesn't wear athletic shoes."

Well . . . I've made the commitment to walk 60 miles to cure breast cancer in the Susan Komen 3 Day Walk in August 2010 in Denver. Soon you'll be getting an email with details on this event, for which I am committed to raising $3,000 in funding. I know . . . it's really amazing to think that me, the Starwood Queen, will be sleeping in a tent for 2 nights and taking a shower in a semi-truck. But that's what this freaking disease has done to me. It's made me look deep inside and say to myself, "What can I do to make a personal statement about the importance of curing this damn disease?"

One way to get closer to that goal is to march alongside 1,000 women in Denver this August. So I'm doing it -- me, the original couch potato who truly has never exercised on a regular basis. My team will be called the "Pink Divas" and our tagline will be: SAVING THE WORLD ONE BREAST AT A TIME.

Check out my video below to see my first day of training. I'm proud to say that I walked 1.5 miles today, just 4 weeks post-surgery. I'm pooped but happy and invigorated to know that I can make a difference for other women and perhaps prevent them from going through the personal hell that I've experienced over the past 6 weeks since my diagnosis.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great thing to do! My SIL did it four consecutive years in LA and her group of eight actually got five star hotel rooms and ordered room service each night, had a masseuse come in, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, when our team did it here in San Diego, we opted for a resort/spa a mile from the 3Day pink tent camp. Trust me that there is nothing like a hot tub and bottle of wine to revive you for the next day. Carolyn's niece, Kristi, came in on Saturday night, ordered or us (we couldn't utter the words), then did a foot massage that saved our lives--well, our feet which were out lives.

    ReplyDelete