Thursday, April 15, 2010

Back in the Saddle Again and Reflections on Thailand

I’m in New York for my first “back on the job” sojourn at Cisco after my surgery. I’ll admit I’m a little apprehensive about my energy level and stamina after being off work for six weeks, but at the same time I’m excited about getting back to work and engaging with my partners.

During my convalescence I’ve been compiling some Flip videos from my December Thailand trip with Andy and Will. Check out this video of our volunteer experience at the Elephant Nature Park near Chiang Mai, where we had the amazing opportunity to get up close to feed, bathe and interact with 34 elephants who have been rescued and now live in the happiness of a nature reserve where they’re free to roam and exist in their natural habitat. At the end of the video you'll see one of the baby elephants playing with a soccer ball -- probably one of the cutest things I've ever seen in my life. This unique experience is one of my favorite memories with my boys and I’ll treasure it forever. (Pardon the amateur videography but I wanted to share this with everyone.)

As an aside, I met a woman named Beth on my United flight yesterday who’s one year overdue on her mammogram, and she’s promised to get on it ASAP. I’m up to 25 people now on my quest to find 100 women who are overdue on their routine exams. It just goes to show that you never know how or when you’ll have an opportunity to make a random difference on someone’s life!

2 comments:

  1. Nancy: don't overdo it in New York but have a great time! And yes, I had my mammogram on April 2nd (366 days after the previous one) because of you! PS got to watch It's Complicated on the plane last night: what a hoot! TTFN

    Leslie Madsen

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the elephants!! I just hope Janet got to see this video. That little baby is so adorable. BTW, that's a good profile shot of your upper body. I'd love to get before and after when all is said and done. You look gorgious.

    ReplyDelete