Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Andre Center

Many people (myself included) are frankly overwhelmed when first hearing a diagnosis of breast cancer. My initial reaction was shock, followed by an numbness and feeling of disbelief. A member of the team of amazing people at the St. Joseph Breast Care Center, Sandra Walters, runs The Andre Center for Breast Cancer Education and Navigation. This organization exists solely for the purpose of assisting newly diagnosed breast cancer patients and their families navigate through the healthcare system and guide them in making the right decisions as they consider various treatment options.

I liken Sandra to a "concierge service" in a way, as she was so helpful to me after my diagnosis when I was overcome with anxiety and paralyzed with fear about my future. The Andre Center doesn't give medical advice, but Sandra helped me identify my surgeons and oncologist, and even assisted in making the appointments for me when it was all I could do to drag myself out of bed in the morning. At one point prior to my surgery, she arranged for me to meet with an Oncology Therapist on the St. Joseph staff, who was invaluable in helping me identify and prioritize what I needed from my well-meaning friends.

We've come so far from the days of women suffering this diagnosis in silence, and being left to fend for themselves while being in a highly emotional state after being diagnosed with breast cancer. It's people like Sandra who make this journey easier. Check out their website at www.andrecenter.org to learn more about the Andre Center, and see the attached video clip to get a glimpse of this remarkable and caring woman who runs the organization.



You'l be receiving an request from me in a few days to support me in the 60 mile 3 Day Susan Komen Walk I'll be participating in during August. Wouldn't it be wonderful if some day in the future we will no longer have a need for something like The Andre Center if breast cancer is eradicated. But for now, please keep those donations coming!

An update - I am now up to 23 women who have had their mammograms that they have been putting off. Go Pink Divas!!!!

2 comments:

  1. God bless you Nancy and Sandra Walters. You are both special people and an inspiration to me and many others. Keep up the good work. Surround yourself with lots of positive people and things.

    Onward and upward.

    CHEERS<
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about you today as I was watching Phil Mickelson win the Master's tournament. It was a heroic victory for a guy who's wife and Mom have been enduring breast cancer these last 11 months. There wasn't a dry eye in the grandstand as he embraces his wife, Amy at the end of the match http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hrK4NqJMFwP7iTN3ES0NBhf5RySgD9F168580 Phil won more than $1M, but like you, Amy's courage and message to the world is priceless!

    ReplyDelete