Thursday, April 1, 2010

Slight Turn in the Road

Ok, after I posted my GREAT news last night (see previous blog post), the oncologist called me again this morning to say that the Oncotype Dx test was only performed on the largest tumor.

So now it's down to another two weeks of the waiting game as they need to perform the same dang test on the second tumor, which according to Dr. Paul has a totally different pathology. Long story short, there are two types of breast cancer: lobular and ductal. Tumor A was a mix of lobular and ductal, Tumor B is ductal. I still have good vibes that it will turn out ok, but I must say it has put a little damper on the news.

I might add that this is part of the dysfunction of our wonderful health care system in the US. Not to place blame on anyone here, but United Healthcare will not cover testing of both tumors at the same time. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

So that's the scoop for the day. I'm still feeling positive but what a ride this has been. I feel like I'm on a cross country road trip with a bunch of detours, but at least I'm continuing on the journey and will hopefully reach my destination soon.

VERY frustrating. Some days it seems like it's one step forward, one step backward.

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the positive energy, Chuck. God and St. Theresa work in mysterious ways. It's all for the good. You're on the home stretch!!/MLH

    ReplyDelete