Thursday, March 4, 2010

Pink Yoga


Yesterday I participated in one of the most POSITIVE, uplifting experiences I've had since this journey began - Pink Yoga. Don't you love that name? (For those of you wondering if that is me in the photo above doing a handstand, the answer is a firm NO. I am still on my training wheels when it comes to yoga.)



Pink Yoga was founded two years ago by Buffy Barfoot, a Denver yoga teacher whose mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother all had breast cancer. Her vision was to create a space for women diagnosed with breast cancer to come together and harness their beauty and power and potential to heal. The program is open to all women at any stage of breast cancer, from those currently in treatment to women who are years into remission. It's impossible to put into words the overwhelming feeling of support and nurturing I received yesterday from Buffy and Aimee Purcell, wife of my co-worker Eric Purcell. In true Cisco style, Eric reached out to me immediately after hearing about my diagnosis.

After attending this session, I feel a heightened sense of confidence in my body's ability to heal and remain strong in the face of adversity, as well as a connection to a community of wonderful women who are walking this path with me. Thank you, Eric and Aimee, for this truly special gift. (And my boys thank you for your awesome lasagna, Amy!) Below is a quick video featuring Buffy and Aimee at Pink Yoga, and a link to an article on their program.

http://www.komendenverblog.org/2009/12/23/pink-yoga-community-of-the-heart/

No comments:

Post a Comment