Thursday, February 25, 2010

Getting it All Together

There's a great resource at St. Joseph, an oncology social worker by the name of Jeanice. The advice she gave me this week was invaluable:

"Get everything unnecessary off your plate so you can clear your mind and focus on the decisions you need to make."

I'm taking her advice to heart and delegating to those who ask how they can help, which will allow me to relax, absorb the firehose of information I'm receiving, and prepare mentally for the surgery on March 8. My heroes this week:

Stephen - My partners are in good hands, thanks for stepping up to bat
Laura - Thank you for being my research queen!
Judy - Thanks for the wonderful, soul-soothing time in San Diego last weekend
Marlys - Mucho Gracias for organizing the meals to keep me healthy
Marlene - Thanks for rescuing me from my very own "19th Nervous Breakdown"

Peace and Love,

Nancy

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy, when the going gets tough, Nancy gets going! If it takes an army to do it, just ask Nancy. We're with you, in love, inspiration and just play here!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of something. I had twins eight years ago and got some good advice that may help you, too. It was misery when they were in the NICU and at home until they slept through the night.

    So, I kept a list of things I needed. And when someone called and asked if I needed something I looked at my list and said, "Yes. Would you please go to the post office and get me 50 stamps? Yes. I'd love to take a shower today without worrying that the twins will need me. Can you come over for an hour at 10a and watch them? Yes. You can come over to visit. Will you be bringing breakfast, lunch or dinner? Yes, I'd love to see you. Can you fold a load of laundry for me?" People want to help. They just need to know how.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you Nancy - you know i'll have you in my prayers and thoughts. Stay strong and keep positive and know i'm here if you need anything at all.

    Remember I'm an old pro at this having held my mothers hand through it all for over two years now and she's still going strong ;-)

    ReplyDelete