Wednesday, August 18, 2010

One Week to Go . . . Camping Dry Run!

I'm now 10 days out from the 60 mile walk and am continuing to step up my training. Last weekend I did a 4 mile uphill bike ride on Beartooth Pass, which is in Montana just outside of Yellowstone (suffice to say it was a BEAR, no pun intended).

I've been asked to give a speech at the 3 Day walk on Saturday evening about my experience with breast cancer and the journey I've been on. Of course I accepted the invitation so now I have to come up with my speech! I'll be blogging more over the next week as we get closer to the event, and also during the walk in the evenings as there is internet access for participants. The opening ceremonies are on Thursday evening, August 26 and the walk starts bright and early on Friday morning.

More later but I wanted to post this brief update! Here's a photo of me on top of Beartooth Pass getting ready to do the climb, 4 miles uphill at 10,000 feet. If I made that, the 60 mile walk will be a piece of cake (NOT). Also including some pics of the wildlife at Yellowstone and photos of camping - a FIRST for me. Maybe they won't be able to call me the Starwood Queen anymore!






Elk resting in the shade along the roadside at Yellowstone




Buffalo grazing in the meadow at Yellowstone




Dennis setting up camp for the Diva - a far cry from the Westin!



Setting up camp for the night in "Bear Country"



Gathering firewood - no Duraflame logs allowed!




Waking up from a not-so rested night's sleep but still all in one piece

2 comments:

  1. One week to go and the team is getting fired UP! Nancy has done an incredible job of fund raising and so have my other two teammates!! I could use the helpppppp!

    The Pink Divas will have a great tent and lots of energy! Who is coming out to support us on the walk??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who are you, I don't even recognize you anymore! If you're not going to use your Starwoods points can I have them? Good luck on your race next week, I know you'll carry the flag with pride.

    ReplyDelete