Thursday, August 5, 2010

4 Month Post-Surgery Checkup

I had my first quarterly checkup with the oncologist last week and all of my blood tests, including the one that measures the "tumor markers," came back with glowing results! The doctors will follow my progress for 6 years, taking blood tests on a quarterly basis to ensure that there are no cancer markers in my body.

Of course, this will be accompanied by annual mammograms per the usual guidelines. (By the way, another friend of mine scheduled her WAAAY overdue mammogram this week - so I'm now up to 40 women who have done so!!!

I'm feeling great physically, emotionally, and mentally and am now 3 weeks out from the Susan G. Komen 3Day Walk for the Cure. The Pink Divas will be documenting our progress on the walk with photos and videos so stay tuned - it's all happening the last week of August, starting with the opening ceremony on the evening of Thursday, August 26th. The walk begins at the crack o' dawn on Friday, August 27 and concludes with closing ceremonies on Sunday, August 29th.

Now I just need to keep on walking . . . and stock up on blister bandages from what I've been told!

1 comment:

  1. I am so very proud of you and what you have accomplished!!! Now, a couple of hints for the walk base on my experience. The blister pads are a good idea, but even more important, wear elastic waist pants--why, you say? Well, it's for convenience in the Porta Potty--you are going to have your hands full and no good place to put your stuff, PLUS you may be in a hurry. You want to be able to get down to business fast!! Really. Also, and no one will tell you this, you may need butt crack lubricant--those rosy cheeks may rub together as you walk 20 miles a day (and you thought it was only chubby thighs). Last hint. Be sure to end each day with a lot of wine and a hot tub. That's all for now.

    ReplyDelete