Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Pink Divas Rock!


I'm so excited to unveil our team's official "Pink Divas" logo! My team members Sandy, Nan, Kathy and I will proudly wear this logo on our training apparel as we prepare for the Susan G. Komen 3Day For the Cure. I'll be posting it soon on my Personal Page on the Susan Komen website (click on box at right to access that page and follow my progress).

Seriously, we're really not a bunch of divas. We're just normal women who have taken on the (some may call it crazy) challenge of walking 60 miles in support of a cure for breast cancer. We will wear this logo in honor of all the people who have so generously contributed to our fundraising efforts, and of course in honor of all the men and women who have been personally touched by breast cancer.

I count myself among the fortunate group of SURVIVORS! At the risk of repeating myself, consider these sobering facts:

* Roughly 190,000 women were diagnosed with breast cancer in 2009

* The average US female has a 12% lifetime risk of developing breast cancer

* In other words, 1 in 8 women in the US will develop breast cancer

* A woman is diagnosed with breast cancer every 90 seconds in the US

* Breast cancer is the leading cause of female cancer deaths worldwide

But the GREAT news is that the Susan G. Komen Foundation has raised more than $1.5 billion for breast cancer research and that number is growing every day! As of today, I've raised $3,825 for breast cancer research. Thanks for everyone's financial contribbutions, moral support, and good wishes as we march on towards August 27, when the Pink Divas will walk 60 miles in support of this wonderful cause.






No comments:

Post a Comment